When you first hear the words “Canadian Film Industry” you may initially think “Huh? Canada has a film industry?”
If you look a little closer, past the glitz and glamour of our neighbours in Hollywood, there’s a whole world of thriving Canadian talent, filmmakers and writers. These Canadian film creatives are producing some of the most heartfelt and compelling stories that reflect the community around us. And guess what? They have been, for years.
To celebrate the upcoming 10th annual Oakville Film Festival, we’ve rounded up some of our favourite Canadian Film Facts.
Canadian Film Facts:
- The first public screening of a film in Canada took place in Montreal on 28 June 1896.
- The first Canadian films were produced in the fall of 1897. They were made by James Freer, a Manitoba farmer, and depicted life on the Prairies.
- The Ontario Motion Picture Bureau (OMPB) was the first state-sponsored film organization in the world, founded in May 1917
- The first movie studio in Canada, the Trenton Studios, opened as Adanac Films in Trenton, Ontario, in 1917
- The first screening in Toronto took place at Robinson’s Musée on Yonge Street
Enter the star of the show: OFFA
Front Door PR and OFFA are here to flip the script and bring awareness to our small but mighty Canadian Film Industry. OFFA presents Oakville’s only independent film festival – the Oakville Film Festival – each year in June, where Canadian filmmaking talents, auteurs and independent films are cast into the spotlight.
The festival presents 20 feature-length productions and short films, many originating in Oakville and neighbouring communities.
The 10th annual Oakville Film Festival will be taking place from June 21-27th, 2023. So grab your popcorn and get ready for a week of fun, and help support our local Canadian filmmakers. To help celebrate a decade of Canadian film making, OFFA is offering FREE TICKETS to anyone 21 years of age and under (pending availability), to any of the festival screenings at Film.ca. See you there!
Visit the Oakville Festivals of Film & Art for more information on the film festival, movies and tickets!
Follow Front Door PR as we share more social media/marketing tips, events and fun behind-the-scenes on our Instagram page @FrontDoorPR